Tuesday, June 07, 2005

MEMES.
Dang. Probably poor form to ignore them any longer, yeah? BUT I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHEAT. I won’t be bound by your damn rules and conventions. So here, a revelation of my pedestrian tastes, poorly explained.


MUSIC MEME FROM RUTH

Total volume of music files on my computer
Whatever 1317 songs is. These are not music files I have downloaded, or anything. They are just the portion of my CD collection I have imported so far in my iPod reconstruction. I did download a song from the internet once. That was cool.

The last CD I bought
The White Stripes, Get Behind Me Satan

Song playing right now
Split Enz - Titus

Five songs that I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me

Björk – Immature
This is currently my favourite song ever. I just love the strange and satisfying way she paces the limited lyrics. Gorgeous/cool. I think Homogenic might just be her best album. Possibly.

The Pixies – Hey and Silver
Yes, I realise that is two songs, but the requirement for only five is a severe limitation so GET STUFFED! I’m counting these two as one. They follow on from one another on Doolittle anyway. And I can’t possibly choose between them so shut up. I also love U-Mass, which is not on Doolittle, no. But I LIKE IT A LOT SO THERE.

The Easybeats – Make My Bed (Gonna Lie In It)
I just love this song. Also, I find the Easybeats very useful for the radio show. We need at least 55% Australian music anyway, and I’ve found the Easybeats pop songs work (either superficially well, or really actually well, I can’t decide) as segue pieces which refer back to the political themes raised in the preceding interview. For instance, I played Make My Bed (Gonna Lie In It) after doing an interview about the situation in Iraq on the second anniversary of the invasion, due to all the “Tried so hard to be, a man… a maaaaan… a MAAAAN/ I made my bed now I gotta lie in it/ Seems instead like I’m gonna die in it/ Where did I go wrong?/ I tried so hard to see/ I tried so hard to be, a man… a maaaan…a MAAAAN”, etc. GET IT?? DO YOU? George W Bush is a man!!! POLITICAL. Also used Wedding Ring after an interview about same-sex marriage. Hello. Wedding! RING!!! POLITICAL. And once used Come And See Her after an interview with a doctor from the Medical Association For The Prevention of War about health impacts of Iraq war, depleted uranium, malnourished children, etc. Thus “Doctor doctor my baby’s sick…” = POLITICAL.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – The Curse of Millhaven
Because it’s fucking funny, especially “I got a pretty little mouth, underneath all the foaming.” Best lyric ever? You decide. No, I WILL DECIDE.

Joy Division – Digital
I just really think there’s something to be said for hearing Joy Division in the morning. Try it.

Talking Heads – Found A Job
It is about TV, yes. And that is something. But mainly, I just love that chorus bit, “Judy’s in the bedroom/ inventing situations”. Something about that collection of words makes my chestal area get warm.
Also, Psycho Killer. Because French is deployed. And “fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa”.

Rage Against The Machine - Pistol Grip Pump
Er, because “they can be fuckin with other niggers’ shit but they can’t be fuckin with mine”, OBVIOUSLY.
And Renegades Of Funk, because they’re “poppinanshockinanrockinanputtinasideahiphop”.

Salt N Pepa – Push It
Especially the “Yo, yo, yo, yo, baby-pop” bit.
And Shoop, because “You're a shotgun - bang! What's up with that thang?" and also, “Baby, take a ride in my coupe…” IN MY COUPE?!!

What number am I up to now? OH GOD I SUCK AT THIS. Oh well…

The Coral – Grey Harpoon
The Rapture - Echoes
Architecture In Helsinki - Love Is Evil The Prequel
Kate Bush – The Dreaming and Sat In Your Lap
The Fiery Furnaces – Blueberry Boat
The White Stripes – Jimmy The Exploder
Pink Grease – Party Live
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Bang… and Man… and Black Tongue

This is ridiculous now. I have to stop, don’t I. HELL YES THAT IS FIVE. DON’T TELL ME THAT DOES NOT ADD UP TO FIVE. Oh, just pick five of them, will you.

Five people to whom I'm passing the baton
Am I allowed to do this if I have failed the meme? Alright then, Guy of course. And Anita, Catherine, Tim, Fop.



BOOK MEME FROM CATHERINE

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
I’m also taking this as ‘which book would I save from burning’. Catch-22 I guess. Or Shame. Or American Psycho. One of those.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
YES. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU’RE TALKING TO?

The last book you bought is:
I bought Gravity’s Rainbow, Portnoy’s Complaint and Underworld at the same time. No, I have not read any of them yet.

The last book you read:
Nervous Conditions, Tsitsi Dangarembga

What are you currently reading?
NW

Five books you would take to a desert island
(The ones I’ve paid for but haven’t read)
- Gravity’s Rainbow
- Portnoy’s Complaint
- Underworld
- The Bell Jar
- In Cold Blood

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Can’t this one just die with me? But alright, I stick it to Guy. Lucky for him he's off to Berlin.

No comments: