Friday, May 23, 2003

I have only just been made aware that Dame Edna Everege's name is a play on the word "average", much in the vein of Kath and Kim's "effluent" joke. What a nonce am I? I can't believe I missed that one. So obvious, right? Anyway, much thanks to the ABC promo for Andrew Denton's upcoming interview with Barry Humphries for revealing my heretofore unbeknownst idiocy.

So, to other matters. What I can only assume was the final ever episode of Felicity just aired. It all ended happily ever after once Felicity was able to reverse her time travel spell and thereby undo the havoc she had wrought on the past. Back in the future, all was well. Noel was no longer dead, and so was free to be happily married off and forever renounced by Felicity in favour of the gorgeous and sweet-natured Ben. Sigh. However, here comes the major plot hole that I am completely at a loss to understand. You see, in the future from whence Felicity came back into the past, Elena was DEAD, and had been so for six months. And yet, upon Felicity's triumphant return via a spell that completely removed any effects that her sojourn into that past had had on her social circle, Elena has somehow become every bit the living and breathing wedding guest. How did that happen? I understand that this amnesia by the writers to the situation they had created at the beginning of this final series was probably motivated by a wish to have all cast members in place for a final farewell snapshot showcasing how these now well-adjusted college graduates had all reached an endpoint in their story arcs satisfying enough that we, the audience, would be prepared to let them go, safe in the knowledge that their future imaginary lives would no longer have need of our watching and worrying. That's nice, I guess. Except that Elena is meant to be dead, and nothing Felicity did had any effect on that irrevocable situation. The whole success of the final spell was that it removed any effects Felicity might have had on the future she had left behind, so that she could return to it without having created a blip in the time-space whatchamacallit. Hooray. But Elena being alive is a definite blip. Now, I'm not sorry she's alive or anything. I'm just saying that nothing in the final series, which I have been watching like a hawk, provides any explanation for it. Odd.

No comments: