Saturday, September 20, 2003

What's all this malarkey you been spoutin 'bout a "brighter, happier" path in musical tastes, Guy? I am here to tell you right now that I experience music in much the same way as you do. I like the music that I like because of the thrilling joy of it. The sheer delight, etc. Though, deep in my soul, I am most likely a pretentious name-checking rock git, you must know that my life-thwarting fear of the discovery of my crapness will always hold sway. Knowing this, you must also know that I have never in my life praised the daring of a reference because I simply don't know enough about music to float those ideas with any confidence. I am a complete pleb, of the "I don't know art but I know what I like" school of complete plebs. And even if I do think that my tastes have landed by chance on music of assured and undeniable artistry, I would never dare express it with any more certainty than "I really like it" or "I love it". I go no further than "It has real quality", which is as vague as you can get but accurate nonetheless. That is all I am willing to venture. I don't believe I come to music intellectually at all. Well, actually, I guess I do of course, but only because I must. Heart and feeling are located in the brain you know, not in a four-chambered pump. You must see that. But anyways, all I'm a sayin is "Hush yo mouth fool" because when it comes to music we have one and the same approach. And so I will try to desist from chiding you about yours, even though I just can't comprehend what on earth you see in... but there's no use in getting into that now.

PS. Apologies for my language goin all southern and lilting, but after a week-long binge of Ride With The Devil, I been a watchin Gone With The Wind and that Mammy sho' has a way 'bout her what spawns imitators. Mmmm, yes'm you iez.

No comments: