Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Yeaaaahhhh! I just got back from seeing The Darkness! So, like, yeeaaaahhhhh! Damn fantastic. My god that man is a superstar! And his brother is totally cool too. DAMN! COOL! FABBO! But this was all expected goodness. What wasn't expected was the quality of the support band, The Shine. I had very grave doubts at the beginning when I saw this goth guy setting up his guitars and stuff, and there were these tall black candelabras with lit candles on them in the background [which put me in mind of Meatloaf's I Would do Anything For Love]. Things did not bode well. I had horrible thoughts of death metal vocals matched with crappy high school anger. But then, when they came out, decked out in all their gothness, the frontman put me at ease. You see, while he was wearing tight black PVC pants that made me concerned for his chafing crevices, and good on him, he was also sporting a black sequined sling for his broken hand. Hmmmmm, I thought. That's cool. And my god, they could ROCK! And they rocked good. I don't know what goths usually rock about, so maybe all my doubts were based on a misconception of what drives goths to create. I had thought it would be about angst and pain [because all I know about goths I found out from South Park]. But these guys rocked about, like, rock things. You know, like getting trashed, and girls, and being in love with girls or boning them. Case in point, "Everyday, I hope and pray, to be a bone in your boday [nya nya nya nya nyow]". It was fun. Rockin fun. Excellent massive guitars and pounding stuff and a very confident and rock star frontman. They are clearly having a good time, and make t-shirts that say things like 'Support Your Local Rock Gods' and stuff. Anyway, I was expecting it to be really shit, and it really wasn't. Also, just to reiterate, The Darkness, like, soooooo rock!

No comments: