Saturday, March 27, 2004

Just got accused of disliking Ian Thorpe because he is challenging the boundaries of what a male sports star can and can't do (e.g. he can't have a range of pearls), and by implication, challenging the boundaries of what a straight man can do. My instant response was "I hate Ian Thorpe because he's tacky, and that's it", but I've tried to give it some thought. Do I dislike him cause I don't trust his proclaimed straight-ness? I certainly wouldn't think any more of him if he were gay, that's for sure. He still shouldn't have a range of pearls (sorry Elanor and Mel, don't attack me...). One of the positives of the whole Thorpe thing though, which hadn't occured to me before, is that he is pushing the envelope in terms of what a popular male sports personality can do. It's good that a "bloke" can dabble in fasion and TV and other non-blokey things. It's good cause hopefully it'll have a "trickle-down" effect and make it easier for every other Australian male who doesn't fit the fabled "bloke" sterotype to do the things they're interested in. I hope I don't dislike him cause of his "metrosexuality". If I did, I would be very fucked up and self-hating. As far as I can tell, I dislike him cause he seems like a wanker (but maybe my subconscious is making me think he's a wanker?). Who knows. Anyway, as much as I have issue, thankyou Thorpie for making it acceptable for all of us to wear white suits, dabble in underwear ranges, and design pearl necklaces. In the long, long, long term, that is a good thing.

No comments: