Friday, April 23, 2004

Just came back from seeing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. SO DAMN GOOD. Really. It's rare that a movie doesn't have a cringe moment, and this one REALLY didn't [well, not in that bad 'this is fucking up the movie' way. I mean, sure, Elijah Wood was creepy, but he was meant to be. Ew. The words 'I love you' have never felt more whiny, and wrong.] Jim Carrey hasn't been this good in a movie since Me , Myself & Irene [my GOD! But THAT is a GREAT movie. I am NOT kidding!] I mean, he's very different in this movie, and it's wonderful. Kate is totally excellent too. Oooh, and that feeling you get when you think of what it must be like to have forgotten parts of your life but not know you've forgotten them and so not realised that they ever even happened, OR when someone else has forgotten moments with you and doesn't know that they ever even happened. Dude! The look on her face when she greets him at the book shop. OH. MY. GOD. I felt pain, people. Good pain. Immediate, shocked, 'in the moment' pain. Also, that bit on the street with, you know, that, uh, older person, and that, erm, blonde person... not to be too specific about it, but that moment of realisation, really really...whew. Totally excellent. Really really recommend this movie. It hasn't been poisoned at all. I mean, it's quite a feat, really. A movie about love, and the subconscious which plays with different realities and memory and perception, blah blah blah...Hello! Minefield! But it SO doesn't suck. AND it's internally consistent. AND you believe it. AND it's funny. AND involving. And the characters/interactions? Uh-oh, I'm about to say 'well-observed'. There, I said it. Amazing!

No comments: