Sunday, May 16, 2004

A few days ago I found a copy of A Camp, which is the side-project of Nina Persson of The Cardigans. I was all excited cause I love The Cardigans (actually, really only their last album, Long Gone Before Daylight which is just so jaded, it's fantastic!). Also, it looked all pretty and nice in a Vespertine kinda way, so while I was still stuck at uni, I just kept looking at it in anticipation. And it's OK. I guess. There's just one bit I can't stomache... Now it's always clunky when "artists" sing about drugs, particularly when they employ metaphors. But I thought this was particularly lame: "Oh I loved you then/ my chemical lover/ you veiled me in your haze/ like a puppet in your lace/ amazing disgrace/ from your silverspoon substance". Chemical lover? Silverspoon substance? It's all a bit Madonna really. Anyway, I was mildly disappointed, and had to share.

Speaking of Madonna, I remember a few years back, around Ray of Light time, that a nasty rumour took flight for a while. It was concerned with her lyrics, and suggested that Madonna wrote her songs with some automatic poetry generator that you can buy in novelty shops. While of course I never thought it was true, it does kinda capture the, shall we say, problem with Madge lyrics ("When I'm lost in space/ I can return to this place"). Actually, I think the best ever Madonna line was this: "Colonel Sanders said it best... finger licking good". It's from a song that Tim, a long, long time ago (if I remember correctly), thought was about eating at restaurants...

No comments: