Monday, May 31, 2004

I'm sick, so I feel perfectly within my rights to while away an afternoon listening to CDs rather than doing my crap essay. So, the Modest Mouse album is totally great. The last few songs kinda don't match the kick ass of the rest of the album, but still, it really really kicks ass. Wait, strike that. Am listening to the last few again, and they also rule. Everything rules. It's all kinda excitingly idiosyncratic, or offbeat, or whatever. Sometimes reminds me of the Flaming Lips, sometimes the White Stripes, but still very much its own thing. Standouts are plentiful, but I defy you not to exclaim and grin and share an appreciative nod with whoever is around you at the greatness of Bury Me With It and, as previously mentioned, Satin In A Coffin. Damn! This album is really really great. Also listened to PJ Harvey's new one. What can I say? It's PJ! She rules. I can't believe she's only playing Byron Bay and nowhere else. The album kinda sounds more like earlier stuff, kinda stripped back and, you know, wrenching and stuff. Oh man, everything she does is wonderful. Oh PJ, please come to Melbourne! I implore you.

No comments: