Thursday, May 27, 2004

Went to The Vines gig earlier tonight. OHMYGOD! They were fucking great! And if any of you fuckers are sitting there judging me for liking them, get lost. You're a loser. I am not going to be polite and accomodating about it anymore. No longer will I stay a closeted Vines freak. I'M OUT, BABY! And I'm not apologising for it either. Cos I'M RIGHT! The Vines are great! If I needed proof, tonight provided. I always used to figure that people had a reason for dissing them, and was prepared to accept that they just had different, equally reasonable, opinions, even if it all sounded phooey to me. Maybe they had a bad live experience or they for some unkown reason didn't dig the albums. And because most of them were so forceful and certain about it, to any "The Vines suck" talk, I'd just respond sheepishly, "Well, I like them." And I considered that brave. I even started thinking, "maybe they're just an okay band, rather than a good one". I wasn't even really revved for tonight's concert, so doubtful had I become of a band that had never given me any cause for doubt. Anyway, now I'm reborn. Last time I saw them they were good, but OH MY LORD, I cannot begin to express to you how GREAT this gig was. It was like, sooo great! I mean, that is just a fact. No subjectivity here. They were on fire. I can't even pinpoint a single highlight because the whole night was a highlight! From the moment they got on stage, every moment was glorious! Holy fuck!

Okay that's not strictly true. I mean, they were glorious for every moment, but not every moment was glorious for me. The support bands were okay, pretty alright. Youth Group was the better one, with some beauty and some rockin, so I might keep an eye on them. Not a devotee yet, though. So that part of the evening wasn't particularly glorious. The Vines blew everyone out of the water, which kinda made up for it. Another inglorious bit for me came the moment the boys hit the stage, when a mass of people rushed up and I got slammed, suddenly finding myself in the middle of an intense mosh crush. It seemed way more intense than usual. So, for the first few minutes while The Vines were up on stage being brilliant, I was concentrating on keeping my footing. Also, some dude was thrusting into my ass. I spent a little time trying to decide if his vigourous thrusts were intentional, or if they were just an unlucky side-effect of the moshing action. Then I realised, "Hey, moshing is a vertical movement, what the hell is his pelvis doing coming at my ass?" [It was like that 'energiser bunny' kind of thing.] Ratbag. I busted my way out of there to the side, and the night got immediately better. It was all good from there. And it was all sooo good! Especially as I could now actually see the band. Holy shit, Craig's voice. AMAZING! Um, just everything. AMAZING! A good time was had by one and all, methinks. The band too. I mean, why wouldn't they enjoy being shit-hot? But you never know. I reckon they were having fun though, because when Craig spazzed out a little and knocked over Patrick's microphone, Patrick actually smiled, which I took as a good sign. I don't know how many times I can say how great this gig was, but ohymgod, it was so great! Dudes, I was BEAMING all the way through it. And if anyone wants to hang shit on me for liking The Vines and enjoying myself silly at their gig, you can't have been there so shut up! No, don't shut up. BRING IT! I'll take you all on because now I've got certitude. That's it. They're amazing. End of story! Man, I really can't believe how good they were. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that level of fantastic-ness. I heard they were shit on Rove or something. But Jesus, tonight totally fucking RULED!
You know, aside from the ass-pumping. SHITHEAD!

No comments: