Sunday, June 27, 2004

Scored freebie passes to see advanced screenings of a Russian film, The Return, so I went with Leah to see it this afternoon. I hadn't even heard of it when I was offered the tickets, but the free-ness ruled out any unknown quantity-ness [doesn't it always]. All I knew from the frond-splattered flyer was that it had garnered awards, which boded well. Still, I had no idea what to expect. Anyway, man, that is one EXCELLENT film. Dudes, it's like, just so fucking good. I had inklings of unrelenting grimness, it being Russian and all [what the hell does that mean Elanor? You're talking crap]. And I guess it sorta is grim, a bit, which I like anyway. But it's also way more than that, is what I'm trying to say. See, it's just so fucking beautiful. Performances, photography, characters, interactions, clothes, everything. Fucking perfection. And its pacing is like, deliberate and observant and experiential [?] and everything is like, natural and keenly attuned to mood. So damn good. Go and see it.

On the train home, I yoinked a Sunday Herald Sun magazine from a train seat to read. We don't get that paper at our house so it was all new to me. And dudes, they've given Oscar Humphries a column. Ew! Man I hate that guy so much. Just so you know; still a tosser. Also, there was this bit called "Have you noticed" which I guess is about trends or something. And this week's instalment went, "Have you noticed... band names starting with The". Hmmm. Edgy. Anyway, the writer ended by saying "for young wannabes who want to follow suit but are looking for a name, here's a suggestion: The Bandwagon." Pfff. YAWN! Sure, this cheap and reductive way of talking about bands would still have pissed me off three years ago, but, um, it would have been three years ago!

No comments: