Monday, July 26, 2004

Just watched Touching The Void, that mountaineering movie about that legendary disastrous climb made by Joe Simpson and Simon Yates, and like, fuuuuuuck! Anyway, the film was really good and very well captured the horrendous experience, I think. Winced many many times. Yeeesh. And I liked the guys. I liked how they told their story. I liked how Simon didn't turn to God even in such dire straits. Also, I know it tortured him, but I really liked that Boney M song, Brown Girl in the Ring, that he got stuck in his head as he was going mental. I think I might go and see if I can buy a best of album, which will hopefully have Rasputin on it too. I'm also gonna buy Courtney Love's America's Sweetheart because, listening to it in Guy's car last night, I think he might be right. It's great. And I want to do my bit for Courtney at this late stage. I've never bought anything by her and I feel it necessary now to, er, make a stand. I feel like Rhett Butler going off to join the Confederate army when the war is all but lost. Um, yeah. Anyway, the other day at the film festival I saw Fallen Angel, that biopic about Gram Parsons. It was good, but I didn't feel like he'd become any less elusive. Emmylou Harris was cool, and that bassist guy from The Byrds/Flying Burrito Brothers, and Keith Richards, but it also seemed like Keith had done some damage which he wasn't really aware of. But he's Keith, so I love him. It's weird to see the survivors of drug-crazed debauchery looking so normal and middle-aged. Not Keith, of course, but some of the others. It was pretty funny in parts, and kind of a shambles. At the screening I went to there was also this really fantastic clay-mation short at the beginning. It was called Tree Officer and it was hilarious. So great and deadpan and cool. So try and get to the festival, okay people? You'll see many leather jackets and strange, out-of-place clumps of filmheads huddling outside multiplexes discussing movies. Outside multiplexes. During the day. It's all quite weird.

No comments: