Monday, August 09, 2004

Miss Teen USA was on yesterday, but as I was out experiencing high-brow cinema at the time, I had to tape it. Having watched it last night I would have to say that my favourite moment was when Miss Nevada was asked why her brother was her hero and she replied,

"He's in the United States Airforce and he is putting his line on the life for me and everybody as well and I think he is such a hero to me and it's such a personal experience and it really hits home so hi Brian at home I love you."

Such simple mix ups are so amusing, especially when delivered so earnestly. Ah, I love beauty pageants. I don't understand them, but I have to watch them. What is the point of them? That is my main perplexion. How can the 'celebrity' judging panel possibly make an informed decision about who is the best girl based on watching her walk around on a stage and aswering, ooooh, ONE question? [I love how the hosts always go "oooh, now for the really hard part... The final question" and are like 'phew' because they're glad they don't have to do something so damn tough]. Also, what does winning professional representation, the opportunity to do magazine shoots, and $2500 worth of free spray-on tanning have to do with representing the interests of America's teens? I was just wondering.

Anyway, speaking of mixed up speech puts me in mind of that 'so funny cos it's true' Bush gaffe from last week. You know, when he went,

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we"... [pause for emphasis and look strong]... "They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people... [another strong assured pause]... and neither do we."

Ahahaha! Oh you gotta hear it. It's so hilarious the way he says it. It's right up there with my favourite Bush gaffe ever, which went,

"Those of us who have spent some time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland understand how unfair the death penalty is ... the death tax is, and we need to get rid of it."

Yes, yes you do.

No comments: