Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Okay Mel, this one's for you. John Howard is going down. Possibly quite big time, but I'm keeping myself in check. I mean, I'm thinking, "if this is what brings him down in the end, why not any of the other stuff?" Because EVERYTHING should have brought him down. Anyway, he's down in the polls and down in the general standing it seems, as evidenced by the kind of impertinences he's now being subjected to. Ha ha ha, a lie detector test. That's cool. He used to be able to ignore stuff like that. Suck! Although, when this story reared up again, I didn't think it would have any impact, considering that David Marr and Marian Wilkinson's book, Dark Victory, had already exposed the dodgy mendacity of it all about two years ago. At least, that's what I've heard. I only bought the book... er, haven't exactly read it yet. Which is probably a problem. But ew, it's all coming back to me. I remember being at uni and going, like "No-one's going to vote for a guy who badmouths people who have just escaped from a sinking boat. That's just mean and weird." I mean, what he was saying back then was so off-putting in any case, I still don't get how it got people's respect. Even if what he had said about the asylum seekers had been true, it still didn't make him a good leader. It was all just shitty. And lies to boot. It shouldn't have been a vote-winner. If there are any people out there going "Oh I voted for him because of how strong and resolved he was in keeping a few hundred people out of Australia and saying totally Aussie things like how 'the kind of people who throw their kids overboard aren't welcome in Australia' even if we do have a legal/humanitarian responsibility to them, and now it turns out that they never did any of that bad un-Australian shit he said they did. Oh, I feel so betrayed." Well, those people can just fuck off because they're obviously cunts. They should still vote Green/Labor though.

No comments: