Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ridiculusmus in The Importance of Being Earnest



I saw it last night and it is bloody terrific. Of course it is. Do try it.

In other things, just annoyed my brother by screaming in happy shock [which, admittedly, does sound a bit like Lucille Bluth discovering Gene Parmesan] on finding out that Low is coming to town. LOW! And then annoyed him again by almost immediately screaming in happy shock a second time, on finding out that Liars are coming to town too. LIARS! I love stuff sometimes.

Recently, I have been obsessively listening to Song To The Siren by Tim Buckley, and Laurie Anderson's Big Science album. And yes, these are hangovers from Antony's guest-programming of Rage. But I really can't stress enough just how truly great they are. Seriously, Antony nominated This Mortal Coil's version of Song To The Siren as his favourite recording ever, but I really must dispute this. At the moment I am of the opinion that Tim Buckley's is The. Best. Thing. Ever. Or at least, it sits comfortably up amongst all the other Best. Things. Ever, a grouping which of course includes Big Science.

Also, I do love the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, Show Your Bones. I mean, of course I do. But really, I do.

And finally, a thing from before the iPod died. See, I've started making playlists according to themes, so that I have INSPIRED selections of music to play on the radio after interviews. The point is to have easy access to the option of playing AIH's Do The Whirlwind or The Fiery Furnaces' Gale Blow after an interview about wind farms. And so forth. Anyway, there's this song I put in the "asylum-seeker" playlist, and I can't shake how eerily appropriate I find it. It is like, SO appropriate, even though I'm quite positive it wasn't even remotely inspired by the experience of seeking asylum in Australia from the sea. But even its title is appropriate: Three Days At Sea (Three Lost Years)... Doesn't that just blow your mind. Anyway, it's a lovely song by Great Lake Swimmers, and I've put it in the "asylum-seeker" playlist, is all.

No comments: