Thursday, April 24, 2003

Ohmygod. When I decided to finish today's daytime television run with ET, I wasn't expecting to be so majorly pissed off (even though I had been briefed by Elanor's post). I expected some crap about American Idol with their "special correspondent" Paula Abduul, or something about J.Lo's latest romantic trevail, but not a cover story about Laci Peterson's murder. This is, after all, Entertainment Tonight. So it's now explicit: in America, murder is entertainment. I guess it all started with OJ. But back in the day, when OJ ruled the airwaves, there was at least a (tenous) linkage between himself and entertainment, him being, after all, some kind of celebrity. But to have murdered unknowns leading entertainment bulletins across the U.S. is kinda freaky to say the least. Doesn't anyone in the States notice this?

No comments: