Monday, June 02, 2003

After a lengthy period of anticipation, I have finally gotten my hands on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, Fever To Tell. And it is fucking great. I would call them "an arty rock 'n roll outfit straight out of New York City" if I knew for certain that it was a fitting description of them. I have a feeling that that is what they are, and that people might even respectably introduce them to the stage with such an assertion. But I have a rudimentary understanding of such things. I'm not exactly sure what arty rock is, or whether the Yeah Yeah Yeahs should be classified in the punky rather than rocky category. So I won't stand by any of that, as I don't want to be caught out looking silly. All I will stake my reputation on is an oh my my seriously sweet goddamn snarling hell, charlie. Yeah, that's right. They rock. And I have been privy to proof of it. I saw them play a gig at the end of last year, supporting the John Spencer Blues Explosion. So here's a piece of advice for free. Don't go and see them if you're not prepared to grant them the instant and unqualified adoration that will pulse out of you, irrespective of any mood or posture or attitude you have tried to saddle yourself with. All will quiver in their wake. It is a good thing.

No comments: