Saturday, June 28, 2003

However much I would love to, I will not be providing the next instalment of Symposiast Fiction today. Calm down. It will be published as soon as I can muster it. The creative process takes time, you impatient souls. Besides, today I feel that there is a more pressing matter to address than the continuation of the steamy, sensual, and existential adventures of Fermina de la Saint Amour (nice one, Guy). An historic event ocurred yesterday, and I feel like sharing my response to it with you. You see, yesterday, the United States Supreme Court decided to invalidate state laws that criminalise homosexuality. Yee-ha for justice, yo! Whoop whoop... and all that. This is totally kick-ass. Need I say more? It's, like, a watershed decision, and stuff, so I am really quite stoked about it, because, even though it's of course about time and common sense and stuff, I was still quite surprised that this 'troubled new world' would deliver such a proper and reasonable decision. I mean, they invalidated a Texan State Law, dude. That shouldn't be a strange thing, I know, but I have a feeling that it might be nonetheless. Who would have thunk it that the Supreme Court could, like, actually uphold the Constitution and shit? Like, whoah! Here we were, like idiots, all thinking slanderous thoughts about the Court being stacked with belligerent nutters and whack-jobs who had risen through the ranks as sentence-orientated prosecutors to reap the rewards of aiding their country in the murder of its citizens, and yet, yesterday proved that they really do, you know, read those Law book thingies. Well shucks, we live and learn. Boy, do I have egg on my face. Hmmmm. Actually, there's not that much egg left on my face now, largely because my seething anger caused such heat to reside there that the egg was quickly cooked before unceremoniously slipping off when I stood up to stomp around the house cursing and screeching. My face is like a non-stick pan, you see. Oh, and the anger. I suppose I should explain that too. Well, in the beginning, I was merely irked. You see, apparently this is a controversial decision. Isn't that mental? Who knew? But, anyway, I could handle that characterisation without feeling too miffed - putting aside my powerful feelings about indignities to sense that I hope you have all sensed as avid readers of this blog - because the event was bigger than that. Such crap is just annoying, right, and nothing more? Well, now I'm not so sure. Because I soon began to notice that the 'controversial' tag was often preceding or even eclipsing discussion of the importance of the case. And other weird things were happening. Like, when the couple who fought their conviction for homosexuality all the way to the Supreme Court, and won, appeared at their press conference to discuss things like the importance of the decision, the words "convicted homosexual" appeared beneath their names. That's odd, right? And this wasn't no FOX News, baby. This was NBC. As mainstream as all heck. And then there were other things, like showing footage of the demonstrations in support of the decision - which was fine and, you know, relevant - but only actually hearing from talking heads who opposed it. Which meant that everyone started talking about 'morality', and, what was even more odd, about 'immorality', as if they were acceptable terms of reference in regard to this case. And there were many more odd and increasingly disturbing things said. For example, people were adamantly arguing something about this decision meaning that the Rule of Law now defends immorality rather than morality, and that marriage is apparently now in danger, and something about family values and the divorce rate - which was weird - followed by portentous declarations that, gasp, there will be repercussions. I mean...FUCK! And these weren't no hicks, y'all. Well, I can't actually prove that. All I can say is that yesterday, the TV seemed to be populated by that scary 'educated but with limited understanding' breed that seem to be prospering, well, always. Plus, there were some real zealots, and they were on the TV. One of them, the judge who wrote the dissenting opinion, Antonin Scalia, made crazy like a motherfucker. He even out-crazied some real weirdos, and he was writing an official historical document! It was simultaneously chilling and enervating to see that, of all the ideas to highlight yesterday, it was mostly those of the fucked-up variety that had been sought out and aired. Thus, at the end of one report, the final voice we heard was that of some guy from an anti-gay group (who founds these clubs? who are these people?) saying that in making their decision the majority-opinion judges had been influenced not by the Constitution or the history and values of the United States of America, but by gay activist groups, and that the decision was therefore completely political with no foundation in law whatsoever. He said this. He said it like it was true. He did not offer anything that could support his assertion. The reporter made no attempt to qualify his remarks. And then the report ended. Just like that. The last word on the issue had been a downright untruth! So then there was nothing for me to do but go, "Fuck off you fucking fuckety fuck fuck. Are you fucking serious, you fucking weasel fuck? How can you sit there and say that, you fuck? Who the fuck are you anyway? Are you even involved? Who are you? Why the fuck are you talking? Are you serious? No fucking basis in law? Fuck off! What do you know? Are you mental? Disconnected from the fucking Constitution and historical principles? I say again, FUCK OFF! WHAT DO YOU KNOW? ARE YOU MENTAL? No really, what the fuck is wrong with you, you fucking fuck? Oh, and WHO ARE YOU?". These comments weren't solely directed at whoever that psychotic random guy was. I believe they should be taken as my general, all-fucker-encompassing, and considered response to yesterday's events. And that is all I have to say.