Monday, June 02, 2003

I'll be brief: I think Jewel is a sell out and I don't think she has the guts to admit to it. I feel slightly weird saying this, because I genuinely don't have a problem with people (eg Courtney Love) selling out. More power to them, I say. But Jewel's decided to do the whole noncommittal irony thing, which pisses me off. For those who haven't seen the clip to her (blatantly sell-out) single Intuition, it works something like this: Jewel walks round randomn city-scapes being Jewel, when suddenly the image is transformed into a glamorous, sparkling and self-aggrandising advert for various Jewel-related products. I think her point is about the superficiality of advertising and image, and she has a good one. But the fact remains that in the clip Jewel enjoys the career-boosting benefits of strutting around in wet t-shirts and hotpants; of back-up dancers, cool hair and... blatant self-aggrandisement. It seems to have worked, cause she's back on Video Hits. So what then is her point?

No comments: