Thursday, October 30, 2003

Whoah! Guy, BACK OFF! Hear me out. Thorpie used to look like a dork. Do you remember him aged 14 to about, well, now? He never quite hit it. And all I'm saying is, something has definitely happened. I first noticed the change a few months back when I saw an ad for The Great Outdoors for which Thorpie was doing a report on Athens. He had a black singlet on and that great new hair, and I thought "Wait a minute. Did Thorpie get hot?". I tried to pass it off as some freakish conspiracy of the Grecian wind and sun. I mean, his name is Ian, so he couldn't be hot, right? But then, I was watching the ads for the news yesterday, and there he was again. He was in some white hipster trunks and a singlet, and his hair was still great [something about its length is just right. Oh, and the blonde tips. They are the first successful male tips I have seen] and he was uber-tanned and UNMISTAKABLY hot. I am serious Guy. Thorpie has turned into something, and I comment on it only because he was so not there before. Remember the long-sleeved skin-tight Versace V-necks he was sporting a few years back? Ergh! And his hair was so blah. But now! Oh my. So, the answer to your hysterical "what's happening?" is simple. Calm down, okay? The sky is not falling. I made the remark "When did Thorpie get so hot?" because, my dear, hot he got.

Stop judging me. But I agree that his forays into "jewellery design" were a grievous misstep. "Jewellery design" is what happens to people who are successful in one domain, [be they actors, divas, or sportspeople] and who then can't see what a presumption it is for them to want to "design", despite their lack of training and expertise. I haven't seen the jewellery or anything, I'm just registering my concern, because usually, when people accept a company's offer to design a product line for them, it signals that they have moved "inside the beltway", to borrow an expression. You know, their frame of reference has become all ridiculous and limited, and stuff. Yuck. But, I still maintain that Thorpie got hot.

No comments: