Friday, November 14, 2003

After going temporarily insane (various people can vouch for this) trying to complete 9000 words of assessment in one week, I am happy to find myself sinking comfortably into the summer groove. I've even started reading for pleasure, which these days is totally rare, although it might just be a new last-gasp thesis-denial technique. How could I not already have read Bridget Jones's Diary? Why do I relate to a thirty-something single female working in publishing? Why does this book make me want to work in publishing? Totally fantastic. I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I just wanna quote one little bit that I thought was particularly amusing, and one that Elanor may relate to:

7:30 p.m. Ugh. "Smoking Carriage" turned out to be Monstrous Pigsy where smokers were huddled, miserable and defiant. Realize it is no longer possible for smokers to live in dignity, instead being forced to sulk in the slimy underbelly of existence. Would not have been in least surprised if carriage had mysteriously been shunted off into siding never to be seen again. Maybe privatised rail firms will start running Smoking Trains and villagers will shake their fists and throw stones at them as they pass, terryfing their children with tales of fire-breathing freaks within..."

He he he. I also particularly enjoyed the bit about Competitive Mothers, who tried to outdo each other by drinking larger and larger quantities of folic acid. Currently reading The Edge of Reason and I'm actually very disappointed. I just can't shake the feeling that its one of those Somewhat Awkward Sequels. It just seems like Helen Fielding suddenly became aware of what a powerful character she had and froze up a bit. The plot, dialogue and the Bridgetisms all seem stilted. Although, yes, the interview with Colin Firth was fantastic.

No comments: