Sunday, November 16, 2003

In my constant quest to be a pawn consuming anything NME murmurs about, I have recently acquired The Darkness album. I like it. My brother loves it, and I think that that is definitely a gender thing. It's big cheesy exuberant rock, and it's very fun and very good. But here I am listening to it and saying, "oh, they're taking their cue and dress sense [chest-bearing skin-tight leotard jumpsuits] from late 70s early 80s big guitar-maestro [cue massive solos] rock bands, and the falsetto makes it rule", while my brother is pumping his fist in the air and yelling "this is freakin awesome, man. It rules!" I recently saw a Van Halen film clip from that time and fashion, and the guys in the crowd are all doing exactly the same thing. It's seriously a boy thing. I like this stuff, but it doesn't fall into my "kickin" category. "Kickin" is definitely a different sound for me, it's more spare, and stuff. So, The Darkness is terrific, but not "kickin".

No comments: