Monday, December 22, 2003

For your consideration, I proffer Lost In Translation, which I enjoyed. It's Tokyo, it's two cool people who are bored, it's the fun that can be had in an uncomfortable place if you find a kindred spirit to be perplexed with. Aaaaah. Quizzical looks need to be shared. And if loving Bill Murray is wrong, I don't wanna be right. Speaking of love, had thought I was over the whole Viggo/Aragorn thing [in favour of a straight Aragorn thing], but had thought wrong. If a picture of Mr Mortensen pops up somewhere that I am not expecting, I almost gasp from the jolt of it. I spent $16.50 on an air-freight copy of Vanity Fair magazine with him on the cover. I felt obliged to buy it after doing that whole internal leap thing at the sight of it and then realising that my hand had already, and without a conscious directive, gone halfway towards caressing it. I rationalised the purchase anyway, what with there being important articles on Gitmo and the CIA operative that the Bush administration venally unmasked also contained therein. Excellent delusion, or not so much? Will anyone believe it? The cashier guy sure didn't. I could tell. Damn smirker. Listen buddy. I don't care what you're thinking. You don't know me. And anyway, this is perfectly reasonable behaviour. There is no shame. I was worried that reading it would leave me irrevocably disappointed, being so blindly invested in the glory without ever actually having been privy to Viggo as an interview subject, and all. But I needn't have paid any mind to any and all of the various traumas which led to my possession and consumption of this article. Viggo hovers ever so precariously over the 'pretentious wanker' line, but, to my mind at least, he manages to avoid any unforgiveable fits of horrid crapping by virtue of his apparently genuine honesty and relaxed non-arrogance, and, most especially, his swoon-worthy voice [I mentally added the sound of his voice when I was reading his spoken bits]. Swoon. In other 'news', Michael Jackson threw a garden party on the weekend. People are being interviewed about this. I never thought garden parties could warrant such extensive reporting.

No comments: