Friday, May 14, 2004

OH MY GOD! I have just found out what a SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTER my fellow Symposiarch, Guy, is! However, this story starts off quite innocently. I won't be outraged until towards the end, just so you know. So, I was looking at our referral lister thingy, down there on your left, and I noticed one from Queerfilter and quite a few from Google. So I duly checked out Queerfilter and it appears Guy has listed us there or something, and it's all rather charming. He's described Symposiasts as "A mix of pop culture ramblings and political rants by two twenty-something Australians..." which is all to the good. I thought, oooh what a smart boy, always thinking of ways to expand our 'readership'. But now, knowing what I know, I see how crafty that wording is. Just wait. Hmmm. I checked out Google too, because I figured if people are googling "Symposiasts" I'd like to know what they come up with. And here came THE HORROR! OH, THE BETRAYAL! FOR SHAME! Actually, wait a bit more for that. So the result of googling "Symposiasts" is that our blog is #1 there. Props to us. Let's chant. "We're number one. We're number one." We're also #2. They have a kinda recent post and our first ever post, both of which are attributed to Guy. No big deal. Even though my name appears nowhere, I figure people will find out that I exist if they go to our blog. All fine. But the next result listed is for something called the Eatonweb Portal and it says "Weblog Info ID # 12196. Symposiasts by Guy :: Legitimating the judgements of feckless youth through publishing." And I'm like, huh, what's this? Is this another one of those 'get the word out' projects Guy sets himself? I hadn't ever heard about this one. And where's my name? Anyway, so I click to go there, and this is how someone has listed our site on this portal thingy:

Weblog Info ID # 12196
Symposiasts by Guy :: Legitimating the judgements of feckless youth through publishing.
Closed Group weblog| Australia Melbourne| English|
Books, Celebrities, Commentary, Entertainment, Fashion, General, Humor, Life, Literature, Media, Movies/film, Music, Personal, Politics, Pop Culture| born: 04.05.03| added: 04.22.03 | updated: 04.22.03| Sex: m


AHEM! And I am only just getting started. Because, further down, Google turns up our Queerfilter listing, which I had thought so charming. That is, until I saw how OUR postings appear on the site!


Apr 23, 2004
Hee hee hee. PJ Harvey and Franz Ferdinand and Electric Six are coming our way for Splendour in the Grass festival. SO hoping they do gigs! Gonna be special. more...
Posted 03:45 PM at Symposiasts [Australia | Male | Gay | English]

This is probably too horrifying for you all to consider [probably? Lady, it is horrifying!] but it is of quite some concern to me. I really think that I did serious damage to my breasts by spending last week bumming around bra-less at my house while avoi more...
Posted 10:47 AM at Symposiasts [Australia | Male | Gay | English]

If you wanna, you can listen to a live set from Interpol right now, and for a while hence, with spiffy cool accompanying photo, at CBC RADIO3. But it's a pretty paltry offering, considering how some people get to actually hang out with the real deal. In more...
Posted 09:38 AM at Symposiasts [Australia | Male | Gay | English]

Just came back from seeing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. SO DAMN GOOD. Really. It's rare that a movie doesn't have a cringe moment, and this one REALLY didn't [well, not in that bad 'this is fucking up the movie' way. I mean, sure, Elijah Wood wa more...
Posted 07:48 AM at Symposiasts [Australia | Male | Gay | English]



Ummmm. [faux-rant building....explodes] DUDE! I WROTE THOSE! And while I will grant you that I AM Australian and I DO speak English, um, hello, like, I AM NOT MALE, NOR GAY! Who could they possibly be confusing me with, eh? I mean I'm talking about my frickin boobs there, man! So now I'm re-evalutating that nondescript "two twenty-something Australians" bit. Seems a little too nondescript. I mean, I AM A CHICK! Are you ashamed of me?

Hee hee. This is fun. You're gonna think I'm really mad. Sucker! I totally get that these sites probably only give you the option of listing one author, and also, that listing me as author would not make Symposiasts eligible for some of them. It was just kinda weird. I mean, I EXIST!

No comments: