Sunday, June 20, 2004

Raahaaahaahaaha! Just flicked over to see what was on the ABC and found myself beholding a churchful of daggy Songs of Praise folk dressed up like clowns [not a figure of speech, by the way. I'm talking actual clown outfits. You know, with the make-up and the hats and the funny pants]. And they were singing hymns with choruses like "Praise him with the loud cymbals", and then performing slapstick versions of the gospels. Yes, they've combined the two terribly British passions of panto and the church. Anyway, that wasn't what cracked me up. It took a few seconds for it to hit, but then I was just in hysterics. See, I was looking at this church full of retirees dressed as clowns, and they were so pleased with how fun they were being, and I was going, hmmm, I guess that's progressive and joyful and non-threatening blah blah blah.....Wait a minute! Raahahahaahaahaaa! Clowns! In a church! Raaahahahaaaahahaaa! That is one hilarious image. You know, cause they're all about making church fun and unscary for the kiddies, by dressing up in the garments of the one profession whose paedophilic reputation is second only to that enjoyed by priests! Raahahahaahaah!

No comments: