Wednesday, January 26, 2005

It's Australia Day. And I didn't really know what to say, so I looked up the website, and it cracked me up. Firstly, the catchphrase is "Celebrate What's Great", which I find delightfully ambiguous. Well done. And then there's a list of "what's great", which is more declarative than ambiguous, but hilarious nonetheless. For example, did you know that in Australia, 'the people' are great? Check them out;
The life savers on the beach and the farmers in the bush; the larrikins; our sporting heroes, artists and visionaries; the volunteers who dedicate their lives to others; the spirit of pulling together in hard times and achieving beyond expectation; the eminent Australians from all walks of life, the battlers and the ordinary Australians who are anything but ordinary.
Anyway, this morning I did some listless manning of the 3CR booth at this Survival Day festival, and now I'm hot and grumpy and even more listless since I found out that Julia's not running, and I've switched on the JJJ Hottest 100 and I've gotta get my lazy arse ready to go to Erin's BBQ. Or not. I'm pretty damn lazy right now. And it's so hot. But anyway. God, I'm loving Talking Heads. I can't believe it took Suddenly 30 to finally kick me into making time for them. That's embarassing. And fucking excellent. I can't get enough of songs like Psycho Killer and Burning Down The House and, well, all of the others. God, they're great. My favourite 'song moment' right now is in Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town, when it sounds like he sings, "Love, love is syphilis, 1-2-3". I know he's probably singing, "love is simple as 1-2-3", but it really really sounds like syphilis. And I'm like, hey, maybe love is syphilis. Deep. Kate Bush is also rocking my socks. Guy's musical influence is not always corrupting and shameful.

No comments: