Thursday, January 26, 2006

POST-BROKEBACK POST



I saw it this afternoon, and I wasn't going to blog about it until tomorrow, need my rest and all that. But I can't get to sleep as I keep welling up with tears and wanting to discreetly expel some kind of noise, so my throat's all tight etc etc. So I might as well do this now. First of all, I was already about to break up as the first screenshot came on, so I may have been a little overly 'on' for this outing. And when it finished, I didn't quite know what to say. I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be, I was just quite seriously affected by it. It is a lovely film, okay. And it breaks your heart quite a bit, especially Jake Gyllenhaal. He's so open and... I'm sorry, but I'm going to cry again. And that's the thing. It's not the constant impassioned tragedy I was expecting, but, at the same time, it is, if you get my meaning. And I like it more for that. The whole thing. All the parts. It's like, you think you're just going along, watching the everyday lives of people, biding your time until you get to the good stuff, when the two of them meet up again so you can get some feeling, but the parts in between are just as much a part of the tragedy as the intense heartbreaking outbursts that make you cry and cry. So yes, what a relief. It's a great film. It felt honest and true. I love fiction like that, where the characters feel real and are allowed to be themselves. A bunch of decent people living with undercurrents of dissatisfaction and frustration and hope and longing and mundanity and bliss and loss, fighting little battles for pride and dignity and missing out on so much joy. And that's really fucking sad, okay?

No comments: