Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I am not supposed to be a teenage girl, but

... I must confess to a few things I did this week that made me wonder about my level of adult sophistication.

1. Last Wednesday night, I went with my family to the Westgarth Cinema to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. On its opening day. As is tradition in my family. Yes, I am still doing this. Largely because I want to. Clearly, I am not a grown-up yet. Also, I LOVED it. I thought it was GREAT. In the past I have always left a Harry Potter screening raking over the niggling disappointments I found in the film, but I had zero criticisms for this one. So it seems that as I get older, I have less critical responses to a children's film about a boy wizard (although obviously, Harry Potter's not really even about wizarding or magic or whatever - it's about confronting the rise of fascism...) <-- see I still say stuff like that! Anyway, as soon as we got home from the film, my brother started re-reading the final two books, and I was jealous of him. I sat reading my book, Ben Lewis' Hammer and Tickle: A History Of Communism Told Through Communist Jokes, while looking frequently over at him, asking him where he was up to and so forth. Then I finished that book and started my next one, Nick Davies' Flat Earth News, all the while still peering over my brother's shoulder at irritating intervals. He eventually went to his room and didn't come out. Anyway, this morning I exercised some restraint - I decided to stay here at 3CR doing volunteer reception instead of bunking off to go into the city to meet my brother and watch the Half-Blood Prince again. In response he decided that since I wasn't going to meet him, he might as well go and re-enrol in uni - just, you know, as an afterthought. As if having a future is what you settle for when movie plans fall through. Uh, we are so mature.

2. In the past week, I have watched Twilight, like, seven times. Probably more. And it's not like I've had a lot of spare time this week. I made time for Twilight. With disturbing frequency. And I can't really explain why I like to watch it so much, why I want to watch it so much, why I wish I was at home right now so I could watch it again. And dudes, I already watched it today - very early this morning before heading in to 3CR to do the Breakfast Show. What is the matter with me? Could somebody rational please tell me that Twilight is actually, like, good? Because I'm beginning to think so, and I'm at the point where I don't think I'm wrong.



Other things last week:

On Tuesday, after finishing up my day at 3CR, I went to the 3CR Promotions Sub-Committee meeting at Peko Peko, where Nicole and I swapped some TV. I gave her all my True Blood, plus season 3 of Big Love, and season 5 of The Wire, and she gave me Breaking Bad and Nurse Jackie. I haven't watched Breaking Bad yet, but I have watched Nurse Jackie and I LOVE IT. It contains a rather excellent cat joke, and Peter Facinelli doing robot laser 'pew-pews'. Recommend.

After the meeting I went back in to 3CR overnight to produce the Stick Together show, featuring the interview I did with Jeff Sparrow about Killing: Misadventures in Violence. It sounds like this. I got home at about 4am, watched Twilight, then slept for the rest of Wednesday until the aforementioned Harry Potter outing at 6pm.

On Thursday I stayed overnight at 3CR again, producing Women On The Line, featuring my interview with Malalai Joya. It sounds like this.

After the all-nighter, on Friday I worked at CASA. And then spent the weekend just, you know, reading books and watching Twilight. I think what I like about it is that the people in it are friendly, low-key, and prone to declarations of undying love.

1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

You like it? Personally, I wouldn't see it because of my religious beliefs, as it's fulla witchcraft and sorcery, not good when Almighty God doesn't allow those things in my world. Hoped you liked being conformed to the Darkness of Error. God bless.